Activity Feed - Books by White Feather - White Feather Magazine - White Feather Blog
Mumbo Jumbo - 1. An object or idol believed to have supernatural powers, 2. An
obscure ritual or incantation, 3. Confusing or meaningless activity or language.
Follow White Feather Here

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Aging Cactophile Monarch


Have you ever noticed how the letters for the word cat are in the word cactus? For me, that is only appropriate because my kitty cat companion, Taco, is a genuine cactus lover. She has a fondness for all the cacti I have spread throughout the house. I am constantly picking cat hair off my cacti because she uses them to brush her hair!

It's almost painful to watch her gently rub her face across the very sharp cactus thorns. "Doesn't that hurt?" I've asked her. But she never replies. Apparently, it is rude to ask questions while the queen is brushing her hair.

My cat is a queen. For over 15 years she has only lived indoors. She's a house cat and the house is her domain. She is the supreme ruler. Within her domain she is fearless and walks with regal authority. The dog knows that she's the boss and I know it, too. With her good grace I am allowed to live in her home with her (and pay rent). She also allows her sister Shawnee to live in her domain. Shawnee will show Taco some queenly respect--although there is a limit to how much of Taco's fantasies she can endure.

I am but a mere lowly serf but I take pride in my job of feeding the queen and attending to her every need. With pride and joy I pluck the cat hair off my cacti and I never ever complain.....not even when I get pricked. I may never know what it's like to rub my face over a cactus but I have at least witnessed such an event through my queen and in the process was made to think about how complementary opposites can actually be. The softness of a kitty kitty and the brutal sharpness of cactus thorns can come together in a beauteous way. There is much to think about in that regard. And it's all thanks to Taco, my lord and master and queen.

Copyright © 2006, by White Feather. All Rights Reserved.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Trendle Ellwood said...

I could not find a post button on the woodpile post. But WhiteFeather I had to try to connect with you to tell you how blessed I was to find my name on your blog. You thought about me? That is so nice to think of you thinking about me as you gathered kindling.

Do I put my hair up while gathering kindling, hah! That made me smile. Unlike you, my hair is nearly always up. I don’t seem to have your talent for keeping it out of my way while working, even without wind. I got a lot of kindling from reading your blog today.

What am I fueling myself with? I like that analogy a lot. I think I will really meditate on that today. There was a big wind lately blowing the trees, the four winds were swirling, I am afraid that I took the bait and I let anger and frustration fuel me.

Instead of seeing this wind as an obstacle I think I will take your good advice, I will not run and hide like I was tempted to do but I will step out into the wind and let it make me/us stronger. I am so thankful that I came and found your mumble jumble today.
Blessings to you,
Tren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home