Activity Feed - Books by White Feather - White Feather Magazine - White Feather Blog
Mumbo Jumbo - 1. An object or idol believed to have supernatural powers, 2. An
obscure ritual or incantation, 3. Confusing or meaningless activity or language.
Follow White Feather Here

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wood


I've been thinking about wood lately. I should have been thinking about wood back during summer. Back in the late Eighties and early Nineties I heated my homes with wood. I spent countless hours chopping wood, stacking wood, and hauling wood. Although it has been well over a decade since I was immersed in the wood gestalt I still remember that you don't wait until the first snow to start thinking about wood. You start thinking about wood in July.

I knew this back in July but I guess I just wasn't ready to dive back into the wood gestalt. Besides, I just had too many other things to think about back then.

Back on Monday we had our third snow of the season. The nights have already dipped below nippy. There is no longer any way to avoid thinking about wood.



This is not a picture of my woodpile. It's a picture of someone's woodpile down the street. I'd share a picture of my woodpile but I don't have one yet. Well, okay, there were a few logs left over from someone's woodpile years ago that I gathered together but it's only a week or two's worth--and I've already gone through half of it.

But I have been gathering kindling the last few days and I probably have a few weeks worth gathered. And I gathered it all under the three massive pine trees in my yard. Is wasn't just the cold that inspired me to do this. It was also Trendle, the magic kindler. I was thinking about her as I gathered kindling under those trees today in a howling wind. I wondered if Trendle put her hair up before she gathered kindling. Today I didn't and I ended up with more hair in my eyes and mouth than wood in my buckets. Three days ago we still had beautiful colored leaves on the trees but the wind has been so fierce the last two days that there are suddenly almost no leaves left on the trees.

Those winds!

Ah, the crackling of a good warm fire. It makes one relax just thinking about it.

Yup, I've been thinking about wood lately.


Copyright © 2006, by White Feather. All Rights Reserved.

Labels: